Critical Reflection


In the blink of an eye, twelve weeks have passed, I have discovered many things about myself. During the start of the term, I have set a few goals that I hoped to achieve during this journey. I always had difficulties in being articulate in projecting my ideas to a large group of people, however, I was able to improve in this aspect over the past few months. In this module, I was allowed to work with different groups, people who were strangers to me a few months back. It was through these interactions that allowed me to practice my interpersonal communication skills and build my confidence along the way. This has encouraged me to volunteer as a guide which is something I would never think of in my wildest dream. With these consistent interactions and practice over the weeks, I was able to approach strangers to provide not just commentary but also having a conversation with them. Having feedbacks from my fellow peers and professors has allowed me to view myself from different angles. With constant exposure to different groups’ presentations, it showed me that there are different ways of presenting which I could take a cue from.


My team and I came across many solutions. However, we had to narrow it down to what we felt was useful in tackling the root of the problem. During this process, we had to evaluate each one of the solutions carefully, to ensure that the solution that we came up with will be impactful. It was a great experience because we had to learn to be open to different ideas and to discuss among ourselves which would rightly fit into the context of our problem. Sometimes, ideas would not be agreed by everyone, hence it is important that we learn to view it from another perspective. Another thing I learnt is that self-belief is important because only by believing and testing out the solution, we will then we be able to find out whether it is useful.  One of the feedbacks that we received was that we have to also look from the view of a consumer besides statistics when deciding on the solution.


My team and I were chosen for the presentation and it was truly a unique experience. It was not simple for me because the pressure and anxiety is something that I faced whenever I give a presentation. However, I believe that being out of my comfort zone would allow me to grow and improve as a person. Through this presentation, I realized that I am capable of giving talks in front of an audience and also making myself feel comfortable during the process.  Some of my friends have told me that I showed signs of nervousness which I did not realize while I was presenting. However, it was a much-improved performance compared to what I have done in class. This is because my peers were honest in giving feedback to me on my presentation, this allowed me to understand and practice my weaknesses such as pausing when I forgot my script. I realized that even the best speaker will also experience anxiety and the only way to overcome it is to face it rather than avoiding it. Even though I did not know if I was able to present in such a large crowd, I believed that there was more to gain than to lose in this process.

Comments

Popular Posts